I was interested in using technology to improve my teaching. One of my goals was to always get my masters but I could never find the opportunity, this program looked interesting and possible. All the teachers at my school encouraged me to do it to advance on the pay scale.
My brother-in-law talked me into taking this program with him.
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI wish I could have had this opportunity to take classes on line when I first started teaching. I just made myself feel old.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYour brother in law must be a very wise man, because getting your masters is important. Not only for financial reasons but hopefully it will make you a better teacher. I would listen to him from now on.
ReplyDeleteYou have the same name as my brother-in-law!
ReplyDeleteI knew I wanted my masters as soon as I graduated with my bachelor's degree. Many of my friends who are teachers are getting masters or plan to. It just seems to be natural now. I'm not going to lie, I initially wanted my masters for the increased pay. I'm a young teacher and thought this was a good time to start since I do not have a family yet. Finding a program was rather difficult because I wanted an online program that sounded interesting. At first I didn't want a technology one but I have been using a varitey of technology in my classroom the past two years I have been teaching so it seemed to just fit and I'm VCSU alumni so it was a comfortable transition. Although I have just started I have already learned new things so that's a good sign I guess! :)
ReplyDeleteInteresting comments. My brother in law(s) didn't persuade me, my husband did. All the classwork keeps me from bugging him. I accepted a different teaching assignment and gaining a technology background was part of the "package". The education classes are most interesting, getting in on the discussions and research behind the latest best way to reach and teach our students.
ReplyDeleteI just felt like the time was right to get my Master's degree. I had been teaching for 15 years, and I felt like a little invigoration was in order.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteFrom a financial perspective, I knew that acquiring my master's degree as soon as possible would benefit me greatly. However, I also knew that my pursuing a master's degree, it would benefit my classroom. Advancing my teaching methods and strategies is something that I will always look to do throughout my career. I chose the VCSU program because it fit my schedule the best and I was more interested in learning how to integrate technology into my classroom more than anything. Since I was coaching two sports up until this year (now just coaching one), taking online classes was a much better idea than going to class once a week for me!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteScott, I think you and your brother-in-law had the right idea starting this program!!
ReplyDeleteI am getting my masters in hopes of getting a job as a teacher in a regular school day classroom in the town I am living in. It sounds horrible but I have been in this district for 9 years and still have not had the opportunity to teach in a classroom. I honestly do not understand why. Some people say it is because of who you know and others say I am being kept at my current job because I do 'such a nice job'. I have cried many tears every fall when I never get an interview. I think getting my masters is just the thing I need to get me noticed. I have thought about going into a different field but I still have the picture I drew as a first grader of me wanting to be a teacher. How can I give up on that dream? I can't so I push on.
ReplyDeleteI'm not in the Masters Program. I am just taking credits to renew my certificate. I thought this class looked great. I need to keep up on the ever-changing technology. Plus, I want to have a heads up on what my own children are exposed to.
ReplyDelete